Thursday, June 4, 2009

Dandelions/Blowballs~Day 4~

Do you have a post, craft, art, or something on your blog about Dandelions?
Make a post before Saturday and I will link to it!
~See the links below~


"The Child and Childhood in Folk-Thought"
Alexander F. Chamberlain

"The dandelion is called the rustic oracle; its flowers always open about 5 A.M. and shut at 8 P.M., serving the shepherd for a clock."
***
Remember my list of Fun and Dandy Activities ?
We chose to do this one today
Press a Dandelion. Use the pressed dandelion in a sun catcher.
We dried three dandelions inside a heavy book for an entire week just so we could complete this project. I am not happy with the outcome, but my Lilly loves it anyway, so yay!
We shredded crayons and spread the shavings between two sheets of wax paper, covered it with a towel and ironed. The crayon shavings act as a glue for the wax paper.
Apparently we weren't supposed to put the shaving on top of the flowers, because you can barely see them.

We'll try this one again later!













***
The Dandelion has a Variety of Names

Pee in the Bed, Lions Teeth, Fairy Clock, Clock, Clock Flowers, Clocks and Watches, Farmers Clocks, Old Mans Clock, One Clock, Wetweed, Blowball, Cankerwort, Lionstooth, Priests Crown, Puffball, Swinesnout, White Endive, Wild Endive and Pissa-a-beds

***

Dandelion History

The dandelion’s use as a medicinal herb reaches far back into Chinese history. The Arabs were the next to recognize its usefulness and wrote about it around the 11th century. It was they who taught Europeans about its medicinal benefits.

***

Recipes
***

*Check out this blog post by TeddyStartedIt to learn how to make Dandelion infused oil!
Great for a "great home made gift for an exercise buff or an arthritic grandma"

*~Soap Deli has a wonderful post with Dandelion art~

*~StitchWorks has a Great post with Dandelion art~
Dandelion Art
*~HealingCommunication has a fantastic Dandelion Post~

11 comments:

  1. Please come to my blog to received an award!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a neat idea, I love dandelions! I used to get really upset with my dad for mowing them when I was a little girl. He always had to reassure me that they'd be back in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So great Lilly! The sun catcher idea is wonderful. I love this feature!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh wow! i never knew so much about dandelions! and i think that sun catcher idea is such fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. so cool! I love dandelions and also agree that the sun catcher idea is sweet!

    xo
    Sophie

    ReplyDelete
  6. My first time ever seeing a dandelion was when I arrived here in America at the age of eight---and I thought they were amazing! It was like a free toy to me. So I would go around picking them from my neighbors' yards and waving them like they were bubble wands. Needless to say, my fun was always cut short. :)

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow Vilmar, where are you from?
    I love your story! My daughter loves to blow those seeds, her grandparents don't enjoy it so much when she's in their yard though, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  8. While I hate them in my yard, I love dandelion photography and craft items. I keep meaning to make a print of them because they ARE pretty. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really enjoyed your dandelion post! I think every child loves dandelions. We always made wishes when we blew them. I hadn't known about the shepherds and the relation to the clock~ so interesting! The sun catchers are a great idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We made wishes as well :) I'm teaching my daughter about the wishes. She wished, "I wish Mommy will be happy forever." That brought tears to my eyes!

    ReplyDelete