Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Dandelions ~Lions Tooth~ Day 2

Do you have a post, craft, art, or something on your blog about Dandelions?

Make a post before Friday and I will link to it!

Bugs are immensely blessed to have a view as bright and beautiful as this.




James Russell Lowell

"Dear common flower, that grow'st beside the way, Fringing the dusty road with harmless gold, First pledge of blithesome May, Which children pluck, and, full of pride, uphold, High-hearted buccaneers, o'erjoyed that they An Eldorado in the grass have found, Which not the rich earth's ample round May match in wealth, thou art more dear to me Than all the prouder summer-blooms may be."

***













We spent a while today picking dandelions for all of our projects, it was quite a bit of fun. Lilly enjoys the dead seedy dandelions the most. She gets really upset when the wind blows all the seeds away, haha.
I tell her that she just needs to make her wishes quicker!

We collected about a quart of the yellow beauties! Not enough for all the crafts we want to do, but it'll do for now. We placed them in the freezer so they will still be good to use when we have a nice warm day out. That stash is going to dye something!

***

Remember my list of Fun and Dandy Activities ?

We chose to do this one today
~Use the flower head to color a bright yellow picture.~


Just pop the head off and rub it on the paper, a natural crayon!

~Lilly was utterly amazed that a flower could be used in this way~
***
The official name of the Dandelion suggests its value, coming from the the Greek taraxos (disorder), and akos (remedy).


~Dandelion Recipes~



***

*Check out this blog post by TeddyStartedIt to learn how to make Dandelion infused oil!
Great for a "great home made gift for an exercise buff or an arthritic grandma"
*~Soap Deli has a wonderful post with dandelion art~

9 comments:

  1. This is beautiful...you're making lovely memories with your little one...dandelions are so emotive aren't they...we all have our memories of them...who hasn't made daisy chains...or made wishes....thanks for reminding me...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, so much fun in the garden with the dandelions, looks like a beautiful day :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's adorable. I'm glad that you're teaching your child about nature.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see you found dandelion wine!! I have a piece of grass covered in dandelions, might have to take a picture today before I mow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This brought a bit of color to my rainy gray Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice post! My guinea pig loves dandelions! I like your new pic on your blog of yourself....very cute!
    Your little girl is adorable too-

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a blog post about dandelions here:
    http://shopbyhand.blogspot.com/2009/03/dishing-up-little-dandelion.html

    Also my dh's cool dandelion photo is in this blog post: http://shopbyhand.blogspot.com/2009/03/lets-get-closer.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. coloring with them is so sweet! my son loves to pick them and give them to me, i love that :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Karen :) I can't get to your blog!

    ReplyDelete